Monday, October 1, 2012

September 17, 2012


Terve!
 
I think I say this every week, but I really have no idea where to begin.

This past week was miraculous.

And I really don't feel like we're doing that much differently. But things are happening. We were so incredibly busy this past week--with good things. We were constantly teaching. If a teach ever fell through, it just meant more time to do other necessary things (like more teaching.) Man, it was a crazy week. But so good. Very rewarding. Our issue is no longer how we fill our time, but how we manage our time with all of the things we need ot do! We saw a dramatic increase in teaches with a member present. We had 3 investigators at church, as well as 3 potential investigators. Our investigators with baptismal dates are doing well. We're finding new investigators. SO much is happening!

So that's a very broad, general overview of all that's going on in this area right now. I hope you can get a sense of how difficult it is for me to pick and choose what I write in my emails to you. There is so much that happens every single day and week in the life of a missionary, it's impossible to capture it all. But with that being said, here's a few things from this week:

I called one of our investigators on the phone this past week (remember the atheist who came to church?) He's been hard to get a hold of recently, and as we talked he apologized for that and thanked us for calling, telling us how much it meant to him. Said he's going through a really hard time right now, and says that he's searching for something, he just doesn't know what. It was a really good conversation! So we have another appointment with his this week :)

Just yesterday I sat next to a 4-year-old girl at the bus stop who reminded me a LOT of Ariana. I smiled and asked what her name was, to which she just shook her head. I asked if she had a name. She nodded. I asked how old she was. We then proceeded to have a great conversation about our favorite colors and our bus cards until the bus came. We then got on the bus and sat in different places. After a few minutes, this little girl got up with her grandma and came to sit next to us. Said she wanted to keep talking with us. So we proceeded to talk about our favorite foods, and what we wanted for Christmas and our families until we had to get off the bus. It was the cutest thing ever.

We had a teach with one of our investigators this week about the Plan of Salvation. He's a very sincere guy, and while he said that he can't promise that he would get baptized in our church, he's committed to read the Book of Mormon, and in the last teach he mentioned to us how good this has been for him to be reminded of spiritual things--of the things that are really important. It felt really good to hear.

We saved up some P-day time from last monday to have a sleep-over on friday night with the senior sisters that work in the office. It was too much fun. One of them is going home this week, so this was our little farewell party for her :( (She's the one whose daughter works at the same place as Dad.)

We taught our investigators with baptismal dates this week about the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity. While they will need to make some changes before they can get baptized, they are so eager and willing to do so and so excited to continue learning more. I love teaching investigators like that--who really hunger and thirst after righteousness and just want to learn more and come closer to God. It in turn makes me want to do just that as well, and it strengthens my faith.

It was so cool to hear from Tyler this week. I don't think our missions could be more different-- here I am in a large, european city while he's out in the jungles of south america. But we're involved in the same, great work, and I am so excited that we both get to be a part of it. It's humbling. At times it's difficult. It's life-changing. It's so rewarding. I can't think of a better thing to be doing at this point in my life.

I love you all. I loved hearing from you. Hearing from my family I'm sure does just as much for me as hearing from me does for you all (did that make any sense?)

Rakkaudella,
Sisar Shaw

 

No comments:

Post a Comment