Monday, October 22, 2012

October 21, 2012

Terve!

So good to hear from you all. Sounds like good things are happening there on the home front. Good things are happening here on the Finland front as well :) Somehow I seem to be at a loss for words right now, though. I don't know why. Maybe my creativity has finally left me after writing you every week for 18 months. (well, 17 months. Not quite 18 yet.)

Anyways, good things are happening. I already said that. SEE, I told you my creativity is leaving me. We are continuing to teach Mary's husband, and he's doing really well. We met with their friend's family from Greece again this week--the mom ended up coming to church! And when we met with them, they were just RAVING about these cookies that I had made for them last week. They said they wanted me to teach them how to make it. Too funny. I just followed a basic chocolate-chip-cookie recipe from a cookbook.

For district meeting this week, we watched the last session of conference (it's not broadcast live here since it's too late at night Finland time.) So we all crammed inside the tiny family-history room at the Kerava chapel to watch it on-line--it was so good! Such good talks. I really felt like the theme for conference was discipleship. The opportunity I have to be a full time missionary and disciple of Christ has been so meaningful to me. But it's exciting to know that this isn't going to end once I take off the name-tag. In a lot of ways, this is only the beginning.

We did splits this week with the sisters from Oulu--here in Haaga. Although that would have been exciting to go to Oulu. I'm kind of bummed that I never did get to see northern Finland on my mission-- but I'm pretty fond of the south. It's funny what a difference it is, even in this small country. We were about to go outside, and the sister I was with was just putting on all these layers--and I was like: "I don't think you're going to want all those..." She ended up taking a lot of it off by the end of the day. Apparently they've already seen snow up in Oulu. All we've gotten down here is rain... and LOTS of it! It seriously feels like I come home every night just drenched from head to foot.

But probably the most exciting news from this week is that "Eric"--another friend of Mary and her husband--set a baptismal date for the same day as Mary's husband! Absolutely miraculous. It was funny the way it happened too. Every time we've ever talked about baptism with him, he's always just been like: "well, can't I just visit your church without getting baptized?" And he's come to church almost every week. But then the elders from a neighboring area knocked on his door a couple nights ago--not even intending to visit him-- but they ended up talking with him and said they felt the spirit strongly--so they set a baptismal date for the 10th of November! They didn't even know that was Mary's husband's baptismal date as well. So if everything goes well, we will be having another double baptism in just a few weeks!

Another cool thing from this week: we met with one of our investigators who we haven't met with in a long time, and as we were talking, he was like: "yeah, i went to your conference." We were like: "What!? We didn't see you there!" And he said: "yeah, it was the one on sunday at 12:00"-- which was the priesthood session, which explains why we didn't see him. I almost had to laugh-- I was so sad the other week that none of our investigators came to general conference-- but it turns out that at least one of them did! And he really liked it.

Well, I love you all :) Thanks for being so supportive of me. I got your letters in the mail last week! They really uplifted me. You guys are the best!

Rakkaudella,
Sisar Shaw
 

No comments:

Post a Comment