Monday, October 1, 2012

October 1, 2012

Terve!

Well, change calls came this week. But I'll let you know what those were at the end of my email.

We were blessed with 2 baptisms on Saturday. It was such a happy day :) It was so incredible and humbling to witness the changes that our investigators were making in their lives--and how HAPPY they were as a result. They had to overcome their fair share of opposition to get to that point--but they knew that it was worth it. For the sake of this email, I will call them James and Mary. In one of our teaches with them this week, their friend asked "wait, WHY are you getting baptized again?" Mary paused for a moment and then replied "because this is the church where the authority has been restored." Then James, who hardly ever speaks up in teaches, said something along the lines of "Look, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't know it was the right thing to do."-- AMAZING! And it's so humbling too, because I know that I've just been a bystander watching this miracle unfold. The Lord is the one who's been doing all the real work here. I'm just grateful to be a part of it.

So a lot of our week last week went to preparing them and getting everything ready for the baptismal service. Which went really really well :) When Mary came out of the water, we asked her how she felt. She replied "beautiful." And she was, she was just glowing. Watching James get baptized was such a joy. He was beaming from ear to ear. You could tell how excited he was. This is something that he's wanted for a long time.

Then Sunday was a really neat day. They were both confirmed in sacrament meeting, and the lesson afterwards in sunday school was very appropriate-- it was about the gift of the holy ghost. Mary shared a little bit about her experience when she got baptized. She said that Saturday was a really bad day. Everything was going wrong, she got in an argument with her husband, and said that at one point, she just threw her bag on the ground and said that she wasn't going anywhere. So she stopped and started to think for a moment. She decided that if she wasn't going to do this for herself, she was going to do it for everyone that loves her. She said that she really feels like it was the devil that was trying to keep her from getting baptized--that he tries to keep us from doing what is right and good. And then she said that when she and James got baptized and confirmed, she felt like there was a celebration going on in heaven. We assured her that there was, as well as here on earth :)

Such a good week. Such a good end to the change.

So, change calls. I now know where I will be serving for the rest of my mission, as well as with whom-- and that is in Haaga with Sisar Ballif :) It's so crazy to see how my mission has unfolded-- I've only served in 2 areas, with 3 different companions in each of those areas. But I know that our missions are tailor-fitted by the Lord specifically for us. My mission has been, is, and will continue to be exactly what I need. I love my mission.

I love you all :) I'm so grateful for my family, and above all grateful for a loving Father in Heaven.

Rakkaudella,
Sisar Shaw


No comments:

Post a Comment