Monday, June 18, 2012

May 28, 2012

Terve!

Well, I survived change calls and will be staying here in Haaga for at least another 6 weeks. Sisar Bragger, on the other hand will be leaving to Jyväskylä, where she will be serving with my previous companion, Sisar Brailsford! My new companion will be Sisar Shreeve!!! I am so excited for the new change. As sad as I am to see Sisar Braegger go, I am so excited to serve with Sisar Shreeve. She and I were companions together in the MTC, so i already know what an amazing person and missionary she is :) I'm sure I have a lot to learn from her.

At the beginning of this past week, things seemed to be going a bit slower--not as much seemed to be happening. I remember thinking: "This is so boring! What the heck am I going to write about to my family?"

Be careful what you wish for.

We got a phone call from our mission president on Thursday informing us that there were three sisters from one of the Russian missions who were stuck in Finland for about a week because of their visas, so he asked if we wanted to do splits with them for the week. I laughed and said yes, it sounded like an adventure. It has been so much fun having them around--our week definitely did not end on a boring note. Although week-long companion exchanges is proving to be pretty crazy, it's also been a lot of fun. We've gotten pretty attached to these Russian sisters-- I'll be sad when they have to leave on Wednesday!

Our investigators continue to do well. I'm sure Sisar Braegger is sad to leave them. And it's wierd to think about teaching these people with somebody else. We had planned a baptismal date with our Kenyan runner investigator for this coming saturday--although now it's looking like it might not happen then either. I called him on saturday to see if he was coming to church, and he said no, because he was far away. Sisar Braegger called him sunday night to tell him that she was leaving and he told her again that he was still far away. So she asked "where is far away!?" Turns out he's in Norway! So, it's a pretty interesting situation. We asked why he was there, and he said he "just found himself there."

But things are still looking well for Kai's baptism on the 16th. His mom, Sini, is getting her patriarchal blessing today :) She is just glowing all the time. She really radiates the light of Christ. We taught Kai about the 10 commandments and keeping the sabbath day holy. We cut out pictures of various activities and asked him to sort them into which ones were sunday-appropriate and which weren't. He acedthem all. I was so impressed.

Other highlights from this week: We attended the temple as a district on Saturday morning, followed by our final district meeting of the change together on the temple grounds. I love the temple here in Helsinki, and I have loved being part of this district. I will venture to say that it's been the funnest district of my mission so far. We've had a lot of fun together, and this last P-day we all went bowling. I'll be sending some really great pictures of that :) Sad news is that with the exception of the AP's, every other companionship in our district will be changing. It's sad to see everyone go, but there are always amazing people to meet, so as sad as it is, change is also a really exciting thing (if we approach it with the right attitude.) I'll be honest, I was not impressed with our district at the beginning of the change. I thought they were kind of boring :) Clearly, I was way too quick to judge. Luckilly I quickly came to learn that each person in our district had something really great and unique to contribute. I hope I carry that attitude with me the rest of my life-- one of always looking for the good in others and just loving the people who surround you. It's a happy way to live.

I don't think I let any of the changes that are happening back home phase me anymore--it just gets overwhelming. But I'm so glad to hear that all is well :) I always love hearing from you and all that you're up to--but sometimes I forget that life still goes on back home. And a lot happens in a year (I officially hit my year-mark on Friday!) It's been especially exciting to hear of all the people from back home who are now leaving on missions! Missions are the best :) I know that the Lord has so many amazing things in store for them all! It's an amazing experience, and also very humbling. But words don't really do it justice. So I'm so glad to hear that so many will soon be experiencing it for themselves :)

Well, I love you all! Have a great and yellow last week of school!

Rakkaudella,
Sisar Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment