Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mother's Day

Terve!

It was so wonderful to see and talk to you all yesterday... It seems a little weird to be writing you now since we just spoke. But it was a good week. So many good things are happening here in Haaga.

I don't think I've ever told you about this one investigator that we have--he's a runner from Kenya. (I thought Steven and Kyle might appreciate that.) He's the coolest, and we've actually been teaching him ever since I got here (a little over 2 months ago now...) He is really amazing, and probably one of my favorite investigators that I've ever taught. We've pretty much taught him everything now, and he wants to get baptized, but still is shying away from committing to a date yet. But I'm sure it will happen soon :) We had a couple of really great teaches with him this week.

And we also had a couple of really great teaches with "Kai" as well. He is so excited to get baptized! It's really cute to see, and really incredible. Before Sini got baptized, she asked me what I thought she should do to teach Kai about the gospel. I didn't have a good answer for her--but she apparently has done a wonderful job. Kai is doing really really well. We were invited to do a little presentation in primary yesterday, so we got to go to primary with him, so that worked out really well. This was his first sunday in our ward--he usually attends in Hyvinkää, and he's really taken a liking to that ward. But I think that he really enjoyed church in Haaga. The topic of the primary lesson was baptism, and Aleksi was raising his hand to answer all the questions :) Teaching him has been really interesting. He has a lot of good questions--and he's definitely an 11 year old boy--but it's been a huge blessing. We have to teach him everything pretty fast so that he'll be ready to get baptized on June 2nd--but he's really determined to get baptized on that day.

Saturday was a really fun day-- we rode a ferry to Suomenlinnä-- this cool castle just outside Helsinki where one of the senior sisters in the office lives. We spent a few hours there cleaning her windows and vacuuming and ironing. We had a blast with her :) (Okay, so she doesn't exactly live inside the castle, but castles here in Finland are a little different from most places--it's more like a fortress that surrounds the island, so she pretty much lives in a castle. Pretty cool!)

And then sunday I got to call you guys :) It was so great to see you. I can't believe how much has changed in a year--I don't even want to think about going home. But luckily that's not for 6 more months :) After I hung up with you guys, and Sisar Braegger had finished talking to her family, there was a ring at Sister Hirst and Horning's door-- it was President Rawlings and his wife with the AP's. They came to sing a mother's day song to Sisar Hirst and Horning--so we got to sing along. It was a really fun night. We just sat around talking... and stayed past our curfew, but we were there with our mission president, so I figured it was ok :)

Well, I love you all :) Especially you, mom! I hope you had a wonderful mother's day. I am blessed with a really incredible mother who has influenced my life more than she will ever know :) I suspect that motherhood is a lot like my experience so far on my mission. One of the most rewarding things I will ever do, but also one of the most difficult. I have so many moments that make want to cry with gratitude and wonder why I ever considered not going on a mission. And yet others that make me wonder why I chose this in the first place. But at the end of the day, I am always so grateful to be here doing what I'm doing. I love the gospel. I love Finland. I love my mom :)

Rakkaudella,
Sisar Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment