Saturday, May 19, 2012

April 30, 2012



Rakas perheeni, (My dear family,)

I know that the Lord is mindful of us. He knows us each individually and perfectly, and loves us with a perfect love. I have come to experience these sort of feelings several times throughout my mission--the most memorable ones have always been during sacrament meeting--which has taught me the importance of attending church. Anyways, that testimony of the Lord's love for me was reaffirmed yesterday during sacrament meeting as well.

Right after the opening prayer, a large group of visitors walked in. I couldn't help but look at everyone as they filed in, and I'm sure my jaw just about fell to the floor when I saw my old roommate Claire! I could hardly believe it. Especially since the day before, Sisar Braegger and I were just waiting at a train stop (story of our lives) and I said: "Hey, wouldn't that be weird if we saw someone from back home just walking around here in Finland?" But I brushed the thought aside. After all, what the heck would they be doing in Finland? There was randomly (or maybe not so randomly?) an empty chair between me and my companion, so Claire sat there. And I asked her: "What the heck are you doing in Finland?" (Or something along those lines...) And we both started crying. I just knew in that moment that Heavenly Father loved us both so much. I really felt like this was an answer to prayer.

So anyways, she's in Finland for a nursing trip. What are the odds that I would be serving in Helsinki, and that her nursing group would visit our ward on Sunday? Of course I could brush it off and say that it was just a coincidence. But I like to believe that God is in the details.

I hit my 11 month mark this past week! Time is flying by. My year-mark is sneaking up! What the heck!? As I think about this past week, I am so grateful for the people I've met on my mission. My life would be alot emptier without them-- fellow missionaries, companions, church-members, my mission-president, investigators, even the people we meet every day on the street. Finland is a really beautiful land, but it really is the people that have made my mission. Wow. Time is a funny thing.

Well, we have SUCH an exciting week ahead of us. To end an amazing week, SINI IS GETTING BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY!!! It will be such a special day. Can't wait to tell you all about it :)
I love you all. Congrats on your YW recognition Erica! That's awesome.

Sorry for the short email-- all the elders in our district are waiting while I finish this to go play sähly! (Finnish version of floor hockey...we'll see how it goes.)

Rakkaudella,
Sisar Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment