Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March 12th, 2012

Terve Terve!

Is it spring break already? That's really interesting that the stake is doing Trek during spring break--but it's a good idea, especially in a place as hot as Texas. Hope you have fun, Erica! (And send me pictures :)) I remember Trek being a really good experience, but I don't think I ever wrote about it, so I don't remember much (learn from my mistakes, ers!) and just enjoy it!

TYLER'S MISSION PAPERS ARE IN!!! woo-hoo! I was way excited to hear that. Crazy to think that a little over a year ago I was opening my own mission call. The waiting period is a really exciting (and nerve-wracking) time, and I will always remember opening my own mission call. Words can't describe the feeling, but it's very very exciting. I was reading President Uchtdorf's talk right after he was sustained to the first presidency, and he described it well: "joyfully overwhelmed" (or something along those lines.) Wish I could be there to see it, but know that I'm there in spirit :) Make sure you record it! My guesses are state-side: New York, New York South and foreign: Phillipines

Anyways, my first week in Helsinki was great. I'm already becoming a real city slicker :) The area is very different from Tampere--everything's a lot closer together, and it just has the feel of a bigger city. I'm in an area of Helsinki called Haaga.My companion's name is Sisar Braegger. She is wonderful! She is from Cedar Hills, UT and has been in Finland for about 3 months. She already speaks really well, and we both share a love for singing and running! So it's been a great start to our companionship so far.

It's good to hear that you have been praying for me that my transition to Helsinki goes well-- it's been difficult! I've never changed cities before (after being in the country for 7 whole months!) and I didn't realize how exhausting it is--just getting used to new members, new places, new investigators, new faces and new names. I have really been looking forward to P-day today! But really really good things are happening here in Haaga, and I'm excited and humbled to be a part of it all!

One of the perks of serving in Helsinki is living so close to the mission office staff. A couple of the senior sisters live right by us, and we frequent their apartment for dinner appointments :) I found out that one of them used to cut hair for a living--and I've been needing a haircut badly for a while--so I asked her if she could give me one sometime. Her reply was "Do you want me to do it now?" So she did! My hair looks a lot different now, but she did a really good job! I'll have to send you a picture next week.

Another perk to serving in Helsinki is that our entire district is really close to eachother--which allows us to have district meetings every week. (And we have a really great district!) We had a great district meeting this last week, and I'm really looking forward to our next district meeting tomorrow-- President Rawlings will be there, and I'm sure we will be richly fed and deeply taught!

Well, that's all for now from the Helsinki front. I'll be excited to tell you more as I get to know the area better and get my head on straight :) Enjoy your spring break. Take lots of pictures (and send them to me! :))

Rakkaudella,
Sisar Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment