Wednesday, February 8, 2012

February 6th, 2012

Terve!

I am just feeling so so happy today. I don't know if it's because the days are finally getting longer and brighter or the fact that it's a warm day today (-6 degrees celsius!) or what. Or maybe it's the email you sent me. I don't know. But at any rate, life is good.

This past week was unbearably cold, which is probably why -6 seems so warm to me right now. Most days this week it's been hovering around -20. Cold enough that the fact that you're wearing 6 layers of clothing doesn't seem to make a difference. Although I finally remembered those hand-warmers that you sent me with and they saved me on one of the especially cold days. So thank you.

I received the package with Steven's letters from his mission, thank you so much for sending those. I spent several lunch hours this past week reading through them. I loved reading about Steven's experiences as a misssionary in Argentina. One thing's for sure-- I'm serving in a very different mission than he did. But it's all part of the same great work. I would love to read some of Kyle's as well (if and when you can get around to it :)) And thank you so much for your letter as well Madeline, it made me smile. I kind of rolled my eyes as you talked about the new boy band that you're obsessed with, but you sound probably a lot like I did when I was your age.


My mind is so all over the place right now, I don't even know what to say. This past week was actually pretty difficult in that not a lot seemed to happen. Those weeks are the hardest. But it still had its highlights, like our teach with our Albanian investigator. Our teaches with her are always the highlight of my week, I think she keeps me sane more than anything else sometimes! We watched "The Restoration" DVD with her and she really enjoyed it. She shared with us how she's stopped drinking coffee ever since we told her about the word of wisdom! She is amazing. Hopefully she will be willing to commit to baptism soon.

And our week actually ended on a really miraculous note. I think I've told you before about our mission-wide goal of 15 teaches per week. This past week we were disappointed when we only got 6. But, by the time we left church on Sunday, we already had 12 teaches set up for this coming week--with members, less-actives, investigators and potential investigators. We haven't even attempted to contact most of the people we wanted to this week yet. I really think the Lord is blessing us for our efforts here. As a companionship, we're all working hard to implement counsel we've received and continually improve. We have a very exciting week ahead of us!

Okay, so here's something that happened yesterday that I'm really really excited to tell you about (especially you, dad!) As I was sitting in relief society yesterday, I had the impression come to me that I need to learn spanish after my mission, and I envisioned myself doing humanitarian work in central america. Kind of crazy! I dismissed the thought at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense, and the more I felt like it's something I need to do. I don't know how yet--I'll worry about that once my mission is over--but it's something I'm really excited about!

Well, I love you all! I'll leave you this week with a quote from Winston Churchill:

"The pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Make it a great week!

Rakkaudella,
Sisar Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment