Monday, January 2, 2012

Onnellista Uutta Vuotta! (Happy New Year!)

Can you believe it's 2012!? 

While we didn't have a white Christmas, the snow came in time for new years, and now Finland looks about like how I imagined it would in the dead of winter. Snow, snow snow :) You'll be happy to hear that I'm adjusting to the cold weather quite well. Or at least, I've learned how to dress properly for cold weather. It makes a huge difference!

This week was a great week as far as "missionary work" goes. We had great teaches with all of our investigators, and we even found a new investigator this week! (Which is always one of the best feelings possible as a missionary.) I loved the holiday season here in Finland, but it is nice that things can resume back to normal now.

Speaking of the holiday season, this new year's eve was very different from anything I've ever experienced or probably will ever experience again. We had to be in our apartments by 6 because of all the partying that goes on that night, so we had an early dinner with this really sweet old lady in our ward and then we spent the rest of the night building a bunk bed. (A necessity with 3 of us in the apartment now-- Sisar Nelson has been sleeping on a mattress on the floor the past few weeks.) It was quite the adventure, but we successfully accomplished our task.

I had an interesting experience yesterday in sunday school that I think might make you smile. It was a very interesting lesson, and the teacher kept grilling me with factual questions. First of all, let me just say how difficult it can be to answer people's questions when they are fishing for a specific answer in english! You can imagine how difficult it was in Finnish. I felt really small in that moment, but I though of the loving words of my mother to a 6-year-old Katie: "Have tough skin like a rhino, but treat others as if they are as delicate as egg-shells." So I didn't let the teacher's questions bother me. I had tough skin like a rhino :)

I love you all! Thank you so much for sending me the Christmas card! Everyone looks great! (And Maddy and Erica-- I can't believe how LONG your hair is getting!!! So jealous!)

Rakkaudella,

Sisar Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment