Sunday, December 11, 2011

November 21st

Terve!


Sounds like everyone has an exciting thanksgiving weekend ahead of them! We too will be celebrating with a family in our ward-- the husband is an American, and they have the missionaries over for thanksgiving dinner every year. We're excited about that! Maddy, you look absolutely adorable in your pictures! I hope you had a blast! I always loved performing in musicals. SO jealous that Boyd did Phantom of the Opera-- I think that or Wicked would be my top two musicals that I would want to perform in.

This last week was pretty good. It's finally gotten down to freezing temperatures, but still no snow! We had some great teaches this week, and we got two new investigators! We also had a really great district meeting here in Tampere with President and Sister Rawlings. We were well fed (both temporally and spiritually), as we always are. The highlight of the week for me was probably stake conference on sunday. I was a little out of my element-- we met in this really nice, big building and there were so many people there! It's been so long since I've been around that many Mormons. But it was a really nice meeting, and such a blessing that I could understand what all of the speakers were saying. It's a big contrast from my first few weeks in the country! Sister Rawlings grabbed me after the conference and said there was someone she wanted me to meet-- apparently there's a Texan in our stake! She was a really nice lady from San Antonio who is getting her PhD in Finland. Small world! I also met another lady who is married to a Finn who served his mission in Dallas a few years ago.

In closing, I want to share a thought that President Rawlings shared with us in district meeting this week. First, here's a quote that I found this week in the book Daughters in my Kingdom:
"The cultivation of Christlike qualities is a demanding and relentless task--it is not for the seasonal worker or for those who will not stretch themselves, again & again" --Spencer W. Kimball.
I really liked that quote because it is so true, and it's important to remember that our pursuit to become more Christlike won't be easy, just as Christ's life wasn't easy. But in district meeting, President Rawlings taught that we aren't alone in our pursuit to come unto Christ. Christ 's atonement covers sins and pains, but it also strengthens and sanctifies us. He taught us from the context of teaching this concept to our investigators when approaching baptism, but the same applies to all of us as we continually strive to come unto the Savior.

I love you all, have a GREAT thanksgiving week!

Rakkaudella,

Sisar Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment