Monday, November 14, 2011

November 14th

Terve! Ja Hyvä Isän Päivä! (Yesterday was Father's Day in Finland.)

Yesterday was also the Primary Sacrament meeting. It was really cute. So mom and dad were at a fireside for prospective senior missionaries? You must be getting old. :) Just kidding, but that is so great that you have a mission in your plans. Oh, and another thing: I had (yet another) dream that Tyler got his mission call, only this time it was to Hawaii.

Anyways, a lot of really great things happened this week. A lot of really not-so-great things happened as well, but I think that the greatest lesson I learned from it all this week is "Come what may and love it!"There is so much about our situations or what happens to us that we can't change, but we can be happy regardless of our circumstances. One absolutely amazing, miraculous thing that happened this past week was a few days ago when we were following up with a potential investigator. We knocked on her door and she let us in, but apologetically said that she had forgotten about our appointment and was busy setting up for a birthday party with her friend. I told her we could set up another time to come back and I decided to poke my head in the kitchen and say hi to the friend. I couldn't believe my eyes! Her friend was none other than the mom of the Angolan family we had taught! It was such a tender mercy because it has been over a month now since I've seen her. We were so excited to see each other, and I asked her if they've been able to talk to her husband's dad at all yet, and she said no, but that he had promised to call them that day. So, I'm still not 100% sure of everything that has happened there, but we continue to pray for them every day. That was probably the highlight of my week.

We also had a really great teach with one of our investigators where we taught the plan of salvation and emphasized the importance of this life and repenting of our sins. She started to cry and said how she's never felt this way before in her life, but shortly before she started meeting with the missionaries, she felt a need to receive forgiveness from God. It was really powerful. After the teach she really wanted to feed us, and so we had this Greek food called Halva (I think?) It was really interesting, but it meant a lot to me that she did that for us. She is such a neat lady!

Well family, I love you! What are everyone's plans for thanksgiving?

Rakkaudella,

Sisar Shaw

1 comment:

  1. Sisar Shaw,
    I don't know any other way to contact you. A couple things: first, a member from the ward I'm serving just arrived in Finland for her mission, Sisar Maki. Also, I saw a quote that reminded me of you. "You made me laugh so hard tears ran down my legs"

    ReplyDelete