Monday, October 10, 2011

September 26, 2011

Terve Terve!

This last week was really great. It got off to a really slow start because Sister Herde was sick for the first couple days. I had my first experience staying inside the apartment all day with nothing to do but study! Hauska! But things started to pick up towards the end of the week. We had a great district meeting in Jyväskylä on Thursday. I always have a lot of fun and learn alot from my district, they're really great. We also had some really great teaches with our investigators this week.

Our family is continuing to progress well, and the ward continues to be really great in fellowshipping them. They're practically part of the ward already :) We taught them the law of chastity this week, which we were a little nervous to do, but they always put us at ease whenever we're with them. They're just awesome. And they want to get married! And since the ward here is AWESOME, one of the members took the intiative to get us some wedding papers before our teach. So we went to the teach with wedding papers in hand and the bishop came along too! I couldn't have planned the teach to go any better. We talked some more about their kaste (baptism) and the mom brought up her concern that she's already been baptized before, and she thought that we were only supposed to be baptized once. It turns out that the bishop is a convert, and he replied "Well, I've been baptized twice, but only once by the right authority," and  that really helped to resolve her concern. The teach was just a lot of fun as we tried to involve their little 3-year-old son too. He helped us with our "Gospel of Jesus Christ" visual aid and during the teach he sat right in between his dad and the bishop with fake reading glasses on and the Mormonin Kirja open in his lap. It was pretty adorable. After our teach the bishop stayed to help them fill out all the wedding papers. Before we left, they asked us if we were coming to church on Sunday, which  was a good sign. When I asked if they were coming too, the mom replied "of course! My skirt's  all ready!"  And then church on Sunday was really great. They were a little late, so we were worried that they weren't going to show up, but they did! It was fast and testimony meeting, and it was really great to sit next to the mom because everytime somebody said something in their testimony that she really liked,  she would nod her head.  So cool. And they stayed for all three hours of church, which they haven't done before. Sisar Herde and I taught gospel principles with them, and it was really great. Then in relief society we were sitting with the mom and we didn't have any hymn books nearby, she obviously wasn't familiar with the songs and Sister Herde and I don't know the Finnish words, but she had a really great attitude and just started putting her own words to the melody :) It made me laugh, and Sisar Herde and I followed suit. After church, they met with the bishop in his office, probably to work some more on wedding papers and stuff, but it just made me really happy that they already have a great relationship with the bishop, and that the bishop is so willing to be involved with them. I just love this family so much, and each week continues to get better! They've already made friends with some of the members in the ward, and I just leave church every week feeling happy! (Even though we attend 5 hours of church and I'm usually super hungry.)

Today we had an awesome P-day. One of the members here works at Särkäniemi, which is an amusement park right next door to our apartment, and he got us in for free! We got to go to the aquarium, plantarium and a dolphin show there. There's also this really high tower you can go up and see all of Tampere-- it's actually the highest tower in all of Scandinavia! Anyways, it was a lot of fun and I wanted to send you all pictures but I forgot to bring my camera with me to email, so you'll all just have to wait till next week!

Well, we have an exciting week ahead of us. We have a zone conference on Thursday, and then we have the amazing opportunity to listen to a prophet's voice at general conference this weekend. (fun fact-- we will actually be watching the morning sessions of conference at the exact same time! It will be 7:00 at night in Finland, however.) I always love general conference. We can feel uplifted and receive answers to questions. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone as excited about general conference as Sister Herde-- she is just like a little kid at Christmas! Which really, is how we all should be.

I love you all. Thank you for your continued support. I really am blessed with a great family :)

Rakkaudella,

Sisar Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment