Monday, August 8, 2011

Last week in the MTC

Terve, minun perheeni!
 
Olen hyvin innostunut menna Suomeen!!! (Hello, my family! I am very excited to go to Finland!!!) Haha, I'm really not sure what else to say. Suomi is all that I have on my mind now. I can't believe my MTC experience is coming to a close. Some days it feels like I've been here forever, and others feel as though I just arrived yesterday. You really lose all sense of time here. But I've LOVED my time here. I came to love my district, even when they acted like the 19-year-old boys that they are. I love the language, I love teaching, I love the gospel. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to miss the MTC-- this really is a great place. But now-- off to bigger and better things!
 
My district and I all survived our consecration week. I was amazed to see how much we have all learned in our (relatively) short time here at the MTC. Some of the elders in the younger Finnish district told me yesterday that it was weird to hear me speaking english. It feels weird to speak english! And if that's how I feel after only one week of only speaking Finnish, I can't imagine how I'm going to feel after 18 months.
 
We had a pretty cool experience on Sunday. Some news station in Finland did a report on Mormon Missionaries. Our Branch presidency showed the clip to us. So. Cool. It was really hard to understand the news reporter-- native Finns speak tosi nopeasti (very quickly), but when they interviewed the missionaries, we could understand everything they said! It was cool to see them walking the streets of Finland and contacting people--it made me very excited to go (more so than I was already.)
 
We received our travel plans on Thursday. We leave the MTC at 4:00 AM on Monday (yay...) Our first stop is Washington D.C. at 1:30 p.m. (local time.) We will then have a 4-hour layover, so that will probably be the best time for me to call you guys (so open up your schedules! I'm so excited to talk to you!) Our next stop is Frankfurt and then Helsinki! We will arrive in Helsinki at 12:15 PM on Tuesday. It will add up to be about 24 hours of traveling. Piece of cake when you're a Shaw. I've been on much longer car rides. It will be quite the adventure though. I've never been outside the country. Dad, I imagine my experience will be very much like the one you had when you arrived in Bogota. Being immersed in the language will be good though. The native Finns (and my teachers) here keep telling me that that's how I'm going to learn the most.
 
Well, I love you all so so much. I love hearing from you and how things are going on the homefront. Wish I had more to say, but I will talk to you all soon! 
 
Rakkaus, rauha ja siunaksia! (love, peace and blessings!)
 
Sisar Shaw
 

No comments:

Post a Comment