Monday, August 8, 2011

Consecration Week!

Terve!
 
This past week was pretty exciting. (By MTC standards, anyway.) My district and I started our consecration week yesterday (se tarkoittaa etta me emme voi puhua englaneksi--vain suomea!-- It means that we cannot speak in english-- only Finnish!) So this next week will be interesting. We'll see how it goes. I was called to be the coordinating sister this week--I guess it's comparable to a Zone leader, but I have stewardship over the sisters in my zone. The calling really surprised me since I'm only here for 2 more weeks (12 days!!!) and they usually call a sister who still has a lot of time ahead of her. In all honesty, I'm glad that I only have the calling for 2 weeks--it's definitely a responsibility! On sundays here at the MTC, we usually have a lot of time on our hands for personal study--hours upon hours--and I usually don't know what to do with myself! But this last sunday I didn't have any personal study time cause I was in meetings all day! I think the calling will be good for me, though, because it will help me to remain focused my last couple weeks. In other news, our fire alarm went off at 2:15 in the morning the other night. It was nuts, but fortunately there was no fire. Just a terrible inconvenience!
 
Arva mita! (Guess what!) I will get my travel plans either today or tomorrow!!! Next week I will be able to tell you exactly which stops I will take and when my layovers will be, and we can plan a time that I can call y'all from the airport! This is so crazy. I have been at the MTC for so long, although some times it feels like no time at all. Time flies by for sure. In two weeks time, I will be writing you from SUOMI! (I hope you all can sense how excited I am :)) I still have a loooooooooong way to go for sure with regard to the language, but this morning Sisar Fitzsimmons (the Finnish sister going to Russia) complimented me on how well I spoke, and said that she hopes to speak Russian as well as I do Finnish by her 10th week as well--I told her she will probably speak it even better! She's probably the nicest person I've ever met. There are a couple other Finnish missionaries here that I have a very hard time understanding-- it's a little disheartening because they are natives-- these are the people I will be interacting with soon! I have to remind myself to be patient. I have only been learning the hardest language in the world for about 8 weeks (Which is confusing--we've only been here for 8 weeks, but it's considered our 10th week.. go figure. By the time I leave, I will have been in the MTC for 10 1/2 weeks.) I dream of the day that I think and dream in Finnish and start forgetting english words! 
 
I love you all,
Sisar Shaw
 

No comments:

Post a Comment