Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week 5 (June 29)

Terve!
 
This past week was amazing! Of course, it came with its hard things too. Before my companion left for Finland, she and I taught together, which was possibly the most frustrating experience I've had at the MTC. I would try and keep up with everything that she was saying and everything our investigator was saying, but it was difficult. At one point, I wanted to cry, but fortunately, I held myself together, and I was able to say something to out investigator (in what I hope was grammatically correct Finnish) that really helped him to understand what we were teaching. Overall, it was a great experience and I think I got a taste of what it's going to be like in Finland. Finnish really is a beautiful language, and I feel so blessed (and humbled) that I get to learn it and teach the gospel in it.
 
Sisar Christofferson left for Finland on Sunday, and it's been hard without her. She and I got along really well, so I miss her a lot but I'm so excited for her, she was so ready to go. On Friday, we got to hear from Elder Bednar. It was awesome! He was very bold with his remarks. He talked about how to be a "Preach My Gospel" missionary. As amazing as it was, though, my favorite part about Friday was when my district and I got to spend an hour with our new mission president after the devotional. President Rawlings and his wife are saints! They are some of the strongest, kindest people I have ever met. The spirit in that room was very strong, and that experience got me very excited to go to Finland... I'm almost halfway there!
 
Yesterday, my district and I had our first SYL (Speak Your Language) day--that is, we spent the entire day speaking only Finnish. I was surprised with how well we all did! The only frustrating part is trying to communicate with someone who doesn't know Finnish, but we were all able to communicate with each other very well. The most rewarding part for me was when I met a native Finn at dinner yesterday--a sister who is going to Russia-- and we were able to have a conversation in Finnish! Although it was short and simple, it was really neat that I was able to understand the things that she was saying and the questions she was asking me, and I was able to answer in a way that she understood!
 
Have fun driving to Idaho... definitely not jealous of that, although my plane ride to Finland will probably be just as long as your drive. How long will you be at Bear Lake? Can't wait to hear about it. Also--I really wanted to send you some pictures this week, but the bookstore messed up my order--I'm not sure how that's possible, but I've ordered some more so hopefully I will be able to send you some soon!
 
I love you all,
 
Sisar Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment