Sunday, July 24, 2011

8 down, 3 to go....

Terve!
 
It was so great to hear from you all this week! Good luck with braces, baby teeth and wisdom teeth! (That should be fun, Tyler. I remember my experience well. Can't wait to hear all about it.) By the way, Tyler, I had a dream that you received your mission call to the New York, New York South mission, English speaking. I know you're still a year out from going on your mission, but when the time comes, that will be my state-side guess for you!
 
Well, my MTC experience is coming to a close! 19 days and counting! We don't have our travel plans yet, but probably will in a week or so. When Sisar Christofferson left, she made stops in Washington D.C. and Amsterdam (I think.) It was interesting to hear that you had your sacrament meetings in Spanish at the MTC, Dad. Ours are definitely in English, and I'm pretty sure all of the sacrament meetings here are held in missionaries' native languages.
 
I actually met the Sister Shaw that is going to the Phillipines; I didn't realize her first name was Katie as well.
 
Anyways, this past week was like any other, filled with lots of learning. The MTC is a great place to be, but lately it's been harder and harder to remember why it is I'm here. I've been here so long it's beginning to feel like this is my mission and I lose sight of the fact that this is only to prepare me to preach the gospel in Finland. I'm way excited to go; more and more so the closer it gets, but I want to love my MTC experience until the moment I leave, and it gets harder the longer I've been here.
 
I did have one experience this week that was awesome. I was standing in line at dinner, one of my elders walked by and I said something to him in Finnish. The elder in front of me in line turned around and asked me if I was from Finland. I said no, and I pointed to my nametag and said I was going to Finland on my mission. I looked at his nametag and noticed it was in Finnish as well. I had heard that there was an elder here who was going to Finland who already knew Finnish, so he's only here for 3 weeks, and they put him in an English district since he already knows the language. I put two and two together and figured out that was this elder. We continued to talk, and then he asked me "are yousure you're not from Finland?" He thought I sounded like a native! He had a hard time believing that I only started learning the language on May 25th. That was a great boost to my confidence. But, like Paul says in Phillipians chapter 4, I know both how to abound and be abased. I went back to class after dinner and our teacher gave us some sentences to translate into Finnish... and I got them all wrong. Haha. I'm still struggling with the grammar.
 
Anyways, my time is almost up. I love you guys! Make it a great week.
 
Sisar Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment